Monday, October 6, 2008

On land





Arriving in Southport, NC Julie was able to see the boat for the first time and amazingly she didn’t get in the car and drive back home. Ziggy surprised us by climbing up and down the steep companionway stairs, we were certain we would have to lift him up and down.
After a couple of days at the marina Julie pushed me off so I could motor the ~ ½ mile to the boat yard where we were going to have the boat pulled so we could work on the boat. As soon as I cleared the slip I realized there was a problem, at full throttle I was barely moving and mostly sideways at that. After a few minutes I realized the fast way to move was idling in reverse where I was able to make about 1 knot. About halfway to the boat yard I was met by their workboat that Julie had sent out to help me back to the slip.
The decision to have the boat pulled was made after I asked a diver to inspect the rudder that was rumored to have been damaged after backing into an iceberg (not sure if it is true or not but it sounds better than hitting the dock). The diver was able to move the fiberglass on the top of the about ½” to the left and right which is a very bad thing.
After a few gyrations the boat was lifted out of the water and moved to shore where we noticed that the fiberglass was all but completely gone from the rudder and the top foot of the core was missing. This was interesting since I had just seen the top of the rudder when we left the marina ½ mile down the ICW. We also noticed that the prop was encrusted with a layer of barnacles about 1” thick making it essentially useless.

No comments: